Yama Tsukami are amongst the oldest creatures known to hunters.
Yama Tsukami are some of the oddest and most intriguing monsters in the world. They appear to have features similar to those of an octopus, though they are much larger, live in the air, only have 6 tentacles (counting whiskers), and have enormous mouths below their whiskers filled with large, flat, herbivorous teeth. Their hide is covered by Dragonmoss and Dragonwood. They also drop Dragonwood and Dragonmoss as rewards. When enraged, their normally red eyes glow yellow, and they will move a lot faster.
Their classification as an Elder Dragon is simply due to the fact that they do not fit into any category, like the Kirin. This mysterious creature's place in relation to other monsters is completely unknown. Although of tremendous size, it is able to constantly stay up in the air with no support. Their attacks are slow but devastating.
Yama Tsukami are famed for their remarkable ability to float with no support and even travel across long distances with stopping. How it does this is unknown, but it is believed to be based on hydrogen or helium gas. They seem to have a symbiotic relationship with Great Thunderbugs, which lets them rest inside a Yama Tsukami's body until they mature. In return, the Great Thunderbugs assist them by attacking Hunters. These Thunderbugs can explode when they are near a Hunter, causing a good amount of damage to their target. It is also theorized that these Great Thunderbugs cause Yama Tsukami to float.
Yama Tsukami is a dangerous creature, but it may be docile after feeding. The beast usually uses its large size and ability to fly to get itself out of most situations; however, it can become very hostile if surrounded or cornered.
Yama Tsukami have only been spotted in a few forest and mountain locations, most of them decent habitats for a large creature. They often rest at ancient towers.
|MHFU: Yama Tsukami Music Theme|
- Yama Tsukami is fought quite differently in Monster Hunter 2 and Monster Hunter Frontier than in Monster Hunter Freedom Unite. Originally hunters would chase it through the tower, fighting it at the spiral zones (doubled in length for the fight) in Areas 6 and 8, with the same moves Yama Tsukami uses in MHFU. Then it will flee to the top of the tower where it gains a new set of moves, such as hovering high in the air and then slamming down in an attempt to crush hunters. Players' main targets now become its tentacles and whiskers, as Yama Tsukami's main body will be far out of reach. Yama Tsukami can also be fought in the town in both Monster Hunter 2 and Frontier. In MHFU, however, players fight it in a modified tower, with a flat ledge bordering a crumbling spire, where it will stay for the entire fight.
- Although Yama Tsukami cannot be captured, the tranquilizer effect of the Tranq Bombs actually numbs it from flight and causes it to flinch. If tranq bombs are applied during the wind tunnel attack it will fall to the ground. In addition, it drops a shiny.
- The only difference between its Western and Japanese name is a space. The translation of its Japanese name is Yamatsukami; however, in English it is Yama Tsukami.
- It is possible to block the Yama Tsukami's wind vortex if the Guard Inc skill is activated, and having the Guts skill will leave hunters with 1 HP rather than dying.
- If you fail to kill Yama Tsukami before the quest has ended, it will not flee and you will fail the quest.
- The Great Thunderbugs that Yama Tsukami summons can be made to disappear by jumping from the top of the area, exiting, and re-entering.
- Yama Tsukami's stomach shrinks in relation to its health. It will collapse twice (both times falling to the bottom of the area) and the third time the stomach is completely withdrawn, Yama Tsukami will die.
- Judging by its teeth and the plants growing on its back, one could assume that Yama Tsukami may be a herbivore.
- When Yama Tsukami falls from tranquilizer bombs, it can stay there for a bit and attack you with Thunderbugs. After a small amount of time, when it is going up again, it will fall and be able to damage you with its tentacles or body, depending on where you are.
- Yama Tsukami can be also fought in a download quest in. This Yama Tsukami is stronger than normal but gives more rewards.
- HR100 Yama Tsukami gains a red aura field that prevents ranged weapons from hitting it unless it is in the middle of an action.
- This can be bypassed with the Super Pierce Crouch sigil.
- It gains more attack strength than would be expected and can be killed in any location.