The Espinas Rare Species is the second subspecies of Espinas and appears from MHFO 5.5. It has a milky white underbelly, with a very light grey carapace, finished with light purple thorns.
This species of Espinas inhabits the Great Forest Peak. It uses moves similar to that of the other Espinas, but also a new, exclusive attack, that could devastate whole hunting parties, and change the course of the entire quest, as it flies into the air, and fires a huge reddish-purple fireball to the floor; the blast created by this explosion fires a huge wave of fire and poison which envelopes vast swathes of the area. After the initial wave, various spots will still be on fire and poisonous, making them painful to traverse.
- Its new devastating fireball is extinguished by the rain, puddles, and ponds, possibly suggesting that in a dry area, the fireball can be even more threatening.
- When breaking its chest, it seems to have purple blood, but when breaking the horns, back, and wings, it draws out red blood. It's possible the purple blood may not be blood at all, but poison.
- Notice that it drinks some water on the ground after the move is performed.
- Players can only hunt the Espinas Rare Species once they reach HR61+.
- An interesting fact is that its battle theme is the same as Lao Shan Lung's in Area 4.
- It is unclear whether this is just an albino Espinas or an entirely different subspecies.
- Espinas Rare Species can be tripped when recovering from its fire wave attack, possibly earning you a special stone in rewards.
Weapons and Armors
For detailed information, see White Espinas Equipment.
Want to see more? Check out White Espinas Photo Gallery
Want to see more? Check out White Espinas Videos