Tigrex is a large, quadrupedal wyvern characterized by its massive head and jaws, powerful limbs and striking yellow/blue striped coloration. The top of its head is tipped with a pair of horn-like ears, and its segmented tail ends with a spiny protrusion.
As a quadrupedal wyvern, its wings have evolved into forelegs, which allows it to run at very fast speeds. Though it possesses a pair of adequately-developed wings, it is rarely seen flying in a traditional sense. It is in fact more prone to gliding from location to location. It has a powerful set of lungs which gives it the ability to produce extremely loud, concussive roars which can physically damage nearby objects. Unlike many other monsters, Tigrex does not wield any elements. Rather, it relies on its sheer brute strength to bring down opponents.
When idle, Tigrex will assume a bipedal gait, standing only upon its hind legs while holding its forelimbs at its side. When threatened or engaging prey, however, it will stand upon all fours and ready itself for combat. It will usually attempt to intimidate would-be attackers with an ear-splitting roar. If combat becomes intense enough, it will flush blood to its forelimbs, face, and eyes, in order to give its skin a bright-red glow as an effort to further intimidate attackers.
The Tigrex can be found in many different environments. Like many wyverns, it will travel far and wide in search of prey.
Other Non-Subspecies Forms
Main Article: Grimclaw Tigrex
Hardcore (HC) Tigrex
Season 9.0, Tigrex is considerably improved. It now has slightly enlarged horns and is missing one eye; it also has several new attacks, including: a tail-brush, where it wipes its tail in a 180 degree arc behind itself; a vastly improved roar, which covers a far greater area; a frenzied series of agile leaps; a double 360 degree body spin; and finally a triple forward bite.
HC Tigrex is an older dominant male with longer horn/ears, blue tinted wings and roaring power stronger than the Brute Tigrex, though it cannot hold a roar as long. It is known for fast unexpected movement, roars focused into an invisible sonic beam easy to spot from sand or snow being blown, an attack were it jumps left-smashes with its foot to the right then jumps ahead to the right and turns then runs back to face its target, double spin attacks like its subspecies and roars so loud the ground cracks beneath it and the air stills as a shock wave reaching beyond its body range.
Main Article: Zenith Tigrex
Monster Hunter Portable 3rd
Information taken from mhp3rd.net
MH4U Breakable Parts
|Right Wing (x1)|
|Left Wing (x1)|
- The Tigrex is known for having improved versions of normal wyvern attacks: it lunges forward to perform a double bite, frequently charges at the player (it can turn 180 degrees to make another pass at the player), executes its tail whip in a 360-degree motion, and can send the player rolling with its roar.
- When the Tigrex has been flashed by a hunter it may stay in a spot for a minute but it'll eventually do its special 360. For a blademaster, this can be real tricky to try and get out of.
- "Ledging" is possible with the Tigrex: when it charges, stand in front of a wall and move away with precise timing and it will bite into the wall, becoming stuck and effectively allowing players to land a few free hits allowing time to cut off its tail, as well as dropping Wyvern Tears or Wyvern Sobs (HR6 and above Tigrex).
- It is possible to break both front claws, wound the head once (horns/eye) and cut the tail off for more rewards.
- Wounding the head will give a chance to obtain Tigrex Skull Shells in the rewards.
- While it is in rage mode it is prone to doing its 'Leap Forward' attack. If it performs this attack two times in a row it will often stop for a few seconds and taunt, giving hunters an opening for a full charged attack. When in non-rage mode, it may leap a third time. In G-rank it has been observed doing this while in rage mode.
- Tigrex's roar requires HG Earplugs to block and causes damage to hunters.
- Tigrex, along with Rathalos, made a cameo appearance as secret bosses in another PlayStation Portable Game, Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker.
- The Tigrex' roar is one of very few that can damage close-ranged hunters, the others being Ukanlos, Kamu Orugaron, Nono Orugaron, and Akantor's roars (Rajang's roar knocks the too-close Hunter backwards, but doesn't deal damage).
- When in its enraged state its eyes will turn red and veins will show up on its arms, that glow red when blood flows through its veins.
- Tigrex also appears in Monster Hunter Diary: Poka Poka Felyne Village.
- When entering Rage Mode, it leaps a distance backward then performs the powerful roar.
- When flinching it goes 2 steps backward and shakes its head. It is also performed by Nargacuga when flinched.
- According to one of the Uniqlo Monster Hunter 10th Anniversary T-Shirts, the size of the foot of a Tigrex is 184 centimeters.
- When weak, the Tigrex will retreat to Area 3 of the Snowy Mountains or Area 9 of the Desert to rest.
- In the Desert, Cephalos will occasionally attack Tigrex, in the same way Velociprey sometimes attack Rathian instead of the hunter.
- Tigrex is one of very few monsters that a 'Poisoned/Drugged/Tainted Meat' will work on. After roughly 10-15 minutes of fighting, Tigrex will become hungry enough to cease fighting with the Hunter and consume any 'Meat' item placed in the Area.
- Clearing the Elder Tigrex Urgent will unlock the video Proof of A Hero.
- Tigrex's boulder toss will inflict Iceblight if fought in the Tundra and Waterblight if the boulder toss is performed in the secluded and watery areas of the Sandy Plains.
- Tigrex's new advancing spin attack can be easily avoided by standing under its left arm as it advances and rolling away afterwards.
- If the Tigrex is low on Stamina, every time it attempts to charge it will try to do a U-turn, lose its footing and trip, giving hunters a brief period to attack it freely. Its speed also decreases significantly.
- Tigrex will eat Popo (if in the Tundra) or Aptonoth (if in the Sandy Plains) to recover Stamina. To kill them it will perform a double lunging bite.
- Unlike previous appearances, in MHP3rd it does not need 2 flinches for the tail to be cut off.
- Tigrex's arms are enlarged. It will sometimes charge one time, roar and step back to recover from charging and to stop giving hunters free hits.
- Tigrex also has a new, blood colored rare subspecies that inhabits the Tower Summit known as the Molten Tigrex.
- Tigrex is able to climb walls while charging. If it is exhausted, however, it will lose its grip and fall down.
- Tigrex can look back and turn around instantly to perform a charge, bite or rock throw.
- Tigrex's Battle theme is changed.
- It can be infected by the Frenzy Virus and affected by the Apex Status.
- Apex Tigrex's weak spots are its head, torso, thighs and tail tip. Attacking any other part will cause the weapon to bounce and shots to be deflected, unless the Drive Wystone is active.
- Apex Tigrex can perform Brute Tigrex's giant roar.
- Apex Tigrex is unlocked in G3 Elder Hall after obtaining the G-Rank special permit by hunting a combined total of 45 Tigrex, Brute Tigrex and Molten Tigrex. Once it has been unlocked, it may also randomly appear as the target of an Urgent Quest in the Battlequarters.
- HC Tigrex requires Super HG Earplugs to block.