|MH3U: Zinogre and Stygian Zinogre Music Theme|
Its thunder-like attacks are different in coloring from the ordinary Zinogre; this crimson red/black lightning deals Dragon-Element damage. It is able to imbue its attacks with Dragon Element due to its absorption of multiple bugs that feed on Dragonfell berries.
These bugs are red colored orbs that float around Stygian Zinogre; they closely resemble the Great Thunderbug from previous games. When released, these orbs can fly directly at the Hunter and explode on contact, dealing significant damage.
- Instead of it releasing one or two thunder balls from spinning, Stygian Zinogre releases four red thunder bugs from spinning twice. These balls home in on hunters. If they hit, they inflict Dragonblight on the Hunter.
- Often while walking, its body lights up with a red glow, and it will release red thunder from its body. Spots on the floor will light up, indicating where the thunder will strike.
- It only needs one charge to become enraged.
- It can combo its two punch attack with the body slam attack.
- When it's charging, it will raise its head up, making it harder to stop.
- Like the normal Zinogre, when the Stygian Zinogre is tripped, bugs can be harvested from its back.
- Stygian Zinogre can finish charging by releasing red thunder while walking.
- To recover Stamina, Stygian Zinogre will prey on a Popo or Rhenoplos (depending on where it's fought).
- Stygian Zinogre can also perform a combo in order to get out of this state. First it will try to charge normally, but just before going into a full charge state, it will try to pin a hunter. If it succeeds, as soon as it lands the first bite it will howl and become enraged.
- When weak, the Stygian Zinogre will break into the Secret Areas of the Tundra to sleep, much like the Deviljho and Jade Barroth.
- There is an event quest where you fight the Stygian Zinogre at the Volcano.
- The word "Stygian" stems from the Styx, a large river in Hades in ancient Greek mythology. This is an allusion to the fiery, hellish nature of this species of the Zinogre.
- In a recent interview, Monster Hunter Producer Ryozo Tsujimoto stated that Stygian Zinogre was one of his favourite monsters, due in part to its colour scheme and the fact that Zinogre is "already a cool-looking monster."
- Unlike its Thunder-element counterpart, the Stygian Zinogre is susceptible to shock traps, unable to use them to charge its own Dragon-element lightning.
- He is suceptible to flash bombs to the face. Specially when charging. This prevents the full charge. Same with the regular Zinogre.
Want to see more? Check out Stygian Zinogre Photo Gallery
Stygian Zinogre: Difficulty?
Stygian Zinogre - Badass Meter: