Rajang is a brown minotaur-like beast with two large horns on its head and a member of the Fanged Beast family.
Rajang strongly resembles the Blangonga in its appearance and movement, even borrowing some of its attacks. However, notable differences include Rajang's broader muscles, hairy tail tip and its ability to use electricity-based attacks.
The Rajang's most notable attack is its ability to shoot electricity from its mouth, either as a blast or a beam. They are hated by many hunters, due to their combination of speed, aggression and power. They are also well known for their dramatic Rage mode, in which much of the fur on their front body rises and becomes yellow.
They are rarely seen in the wild due to their lonesome nomadic lifestyle.
Other Non-Subspecies Forms
Main Article: Furious Rajang
Unlike its normal self, a Furious Rajang is not a Subspecies but rather a revamp Variant of an HR9 Rajang, which in its dormant state appears to be "almost golden as if it were to be locked in its rage mode". Its Rage mode shows that its fur stands up and it is visibly electrified by an electric aura. Most videos of this elusive Rajang show its quest location to be at the Volcano and Old Volcano. There is also a special downloadable quest in which hunters must fight two of these Furious Rajangs at the same time in the Great Arena. It is also featured in the last G-rank Training School quest in MHFU. When the Furious Rajang is in rage mode it cannot be put in a Pitfall Trap but when it is in its normal state it can be Pitfalled. This is the opposite to the normal Rajang. The Furious Rajang has an attack that does a great amount of damage. It's also been known to have destroyed hunters in one hit. Even though the regular Rajang also does this attack, it won't do nearly as much damage as the Furious Rajang attack will do.
This variant of Rajang also appears in Monster Hunter 4 with separate Icon, yet it does not have a separate name from an ordinary Rajang.
Hard Core (HC) Rajang
As of Monster Hunter Frontier Season 10, HC Rajang appears with new looks and its new rare Red Aura version with new attacks including one where it raises its two arms and gathers an orange ball that when fully-charged, slowly descends to the ground and causes a large explosion. This indirectly refers to one of Goku's signature moves, the Spirit Bomb. Normal HC moves include rolling into a ball and hovering as far as across the whole area, then landing smashing the ground with its arms creating a wave of rocks horizontally and homing punches with a impact zone of thunder were it follows you while punching, then jumps back hitting anyone behind it with another impact zone of thunder and continues punching following the original target. It should be mentioned that finding a Phantom Rajang really is rare and is a low % to find when choosing to fight a HR100 or G-rank HC Rajang. Normal HC Rajang has blue eyes and very long hair on its back with a gold aura when in rage.
Analysis and Guides
For details on older games this monster has appeared in, see Rajang Guides.
|MHF2: Rajang Music Theme|
MH4U Breakable Parts
- Sometimes it will blast out a lightning ball instead of a beam, after which it recovers much faster than the lightning wave. Hunters should always take note of which blast it is using.
- Before doing the beam, it will make a whistling sound. It does not whistle before the lightning ball.
- In order to get Rajang's horn in the reward box after battle, players must break off both of its horns during battle.
- Pitfall traps only work when Rajang is enraged (when its pelt is gold, not black).
- However, for the Furious Rajang, pitfall traps only work when not enraged.
- The Rajang, like the Tigrex, can do a 360 spin forward.
- A little known fact about it is that when hunters cut off the tail of a Rajang it will stop being enraged. This has been tried for the regular Rajang and it works. However, this won't work against the Furious Rajang.
- Ice Element is needed to cut Rajang's tail.
- If the hunter is too close to Rajang when it roars, they will be thrown back. However, unlike other monsters' roars with the same effect, such as Tigrex's, the hunter will not receive any damage from the roar.
- Rajang's roar requires Earplugs to block.
- Ironically, Rajang is weak to ice but it'll sometimes go to the Snowy Mountains.
- It will take exactly 10 poisoned throwing knives to poison the Rajang.
- Flash bombs do blind the Rajang but it does not stay in place like the Rathalos or other monsters, instead it will jump back or do its little sweep attack hoping to hit anything in front of it.
- Rajang's movement, behavior, and appearance has made several allusions to the popular Dragon Ball series character Son Goku.
- Such as when Rajang is enraged and tufts of its hair turn gold, this alludes to Goku's Super Saiyan form.
- It losing its power when its tail is cut is also an indirect reference to Goku's Oozaru form.
- Rajang's name is similar to the name of a village in Iran, Rajang .
- Rajang's name may also be similar to the Rajang River located in Sarawak, Malaysia. The Rajang River is the longest river in the entire country and it originates from Iran Mountains. The river is located in Borneo , notable as the third largest island in the world, which has a large population of primates such as apes, orangutans and chimpanzees.
- It no longer requires Ice element to break its tail, but it can only be broken when Rajang is enraged.
- Oddly Rajang's thunder beam attack doesn't inflict Thunderblight but its lighting ball does.
- It can now perform a throttling pin attack.
- It can turn and move while doing a body slam slightly.
- It will destroy nearby items and use it against Hunters.
- It now has an armor mode for its arms, it has to be in rage to activate this mode while Furious Rajang can activate it at will.
- In its armor mode, it takes purple sharpness to not bounce on Rajang's arms.
- If Furious Rajang is near death in armor mode its arms will start to glow blue.
- Furious Rajang is unlocked at HR 30.
- Rajang can be affected by the Apex Status.
- Just like Furious Rajang, can activate the armor mode even when it is not enraged.
- Apex Rajang's weak spots are its head, its arms and its tail. Attacking any other part will cause the weapon to bounce and shots to be deflected, unless the Drive Wystone is active.
- Apex Rajang can lift a massive boulder with both hands and throw it to the ground, smashing it to pieces. If the hunter stands on the rock while it is being lifted, he or she will be tripped and lose the red portion of their health bar.
- Apex Rajang can get enraged even when its tail is broken.
- A quest for hunting Apex Rajang is unlocked in G3 Elder Hall by deciphering the sixth Aged Text. Once this quest has been unlocked, it may also randomly appear as the target of an Urgent Quest in the Battlequarters.
- Additionally, Apex Rajang may show up as a roaming monster in multiple G1 and G2 Quests.
- In G-rank, Rajang can perform multiple homing, somersault jumps.
- HC Rajang's and Phantom Rajang's roars require HG earplugs to block.
- Rajang can be a pet. It is proven that Rajang eat Kirin due to Kirin Horns being one of its pet foods to feed it. Another interesting food is that it will eat Golden Eggs as it oddly seems beneficial to its health.