The Qurupeco resembles a large bird with Pterosaur-like features, such as a fanged beak and leathery wings. It is mainly green colored with some scales being tinted yellow, it also has a clump of iridescent purple feathers on its back between its shoulders. The Qurupeco has a short, stubby brown crest extending from the back of its head. The Qurupeco's soft crest stretches over the top of its head and when calling opens out into the shape of a megaphone, amplifying its calls. Its most notable feature however is its bright red vocal sac which inflates when calling.
The Qurupeco also has a pair of thick, bulky growths on its wings which produce sparks when struck against each other, much like flints. It uses these to ignite its mucus, causing fiery explosions. Its tail is shaped like a fan and can unfold revealing brightly colored skin, most likely as a warning for any would-be attacker.
The Qurupeco's feet seem to have only 3 frontal digits on each foot. It may also have a back digit, but its stubby appearance makes it looks more like a heel. Its feet are also partially webbed.
It uses its masterful vocal mimicry abilities to summon aid from various monsters, as well as healing them and boosting their abilities. The Qurupeco's soft crest and throat sac make it a very delicate monster.
Qurupeco's beak and flint-like wingtips can be broken for additional rewards at the end of a quest, such as Strange Beak and Flintstone, respectively.
When its vocal sac is inflated, it is susceptible to loud noises, much like the Yian Kut-Ku. This makes Sonic Bombs or objects that cause explosions effective at stopping some of its abilities, leaving the interrupted Qurupeco disoriented for a moment and causing it to drop an item.
Monster Hunter 3
Monster Hunter Portable 3rd
Information is taken from mhp3rd.net
|Hitzone||Cut. D.||Imp. D.||Shot D.|
|Item Name||Able||Effectiveness||Duration (1st time)||Duration (2nd time)||Notes|
|Pitfall Trap||✔||★★★||Useful for being able to break Qurupeco's otherwise hard to reach beak.|
|Flash Bomb||✔||★★☆||Very useful when it's hovering. Use as advantage when down on the ground.|
|Sonic Bomb||✔||★★☆||Flinches Qurupeco. Can cancel its status boosts or summons.|
|Dung Bomb||✔||★★☆||Sometimes makes Qurupeco fly to another area. Useful when another boss is in the same area.|
|Meat||✔||★★☆||Only eats when hungry, of course. Eats very slowly, which is why sometimes normal meat is used just to get some free hits.|
For the damage formula (how it's calculated), hitzone charts, Qurupeco info and more click the following links: Monster Hunter 3 Damage Formula or Monster Hunter 3 Hitzone Charts. Images created by Inkoseh.
- Qurupeco mimics the roars or cries of certain monsters. By doing this, it can summon aid from Great Jaggi, Rathian, Royal Ludroth, Ludroth, Melynx, Jaggi, Rhenoplos, Barroth (during the Hunter Killer Quest) as well as Diablos, Deviljho and Rathalos on higher rank quests. It can also call for help from any monster already in the area.
- Depending on its body language type of monster the Qurupeco is summoning will change. When it holds its head up high and its wings down low while standing still, it is summoning a minion monster (Jaggi, Rhenoplos, Ludroth or Melynx), and when it sweeps its head from left to right, and then up, while balancing on one foot, it is summoning a boss monster. If the hunter stops the boss call it will not summon the boss but will keep calling it until it it has been called in the area. Also a monster will NOT respond to the call if sleeping.
- The types of summoned minion monsters are dependent on the zone of a map the summoning is performed in.
- In MHP3rd and MH3U Qurupeco is capable of summoning Bullfango, Nibelsnarf, Arzuros, Volvidon, Sand Barioth, Duramboros and Zinogre. Bulldrome and Tigrex could be summoned in MHP3rd, but have been removed in MH3U.
- Small monsters summoned to an area will be there the remainder of the quest unless killed.
- It uses the flint-like parts of its wings to create sparks of fire, then it charges at its target and creates a massive spark/explosion, possibly by spitting combustible mucus into the smaller sparks made by its wing flints.
- Breaking the flints does not seem to have any effect on its ability to create explosions, even though reducing its Stamina does.
- As of MHP3rd, the Qurupeco will indicate how many times it will attack with its flints in a row. If it clicks its flints twice, it will attack two times, and when it clicks them twice in rapid succession and then a third time, it will attack thrice.
- Its mucus is highly combustible and will decrease Fire Resistance on hit.
- Qurupeco can dance to Heal or boost the Attack/Defense of itself and nearby monsters.
- Its songs include: Healing (Green), Attack Boost (Red), Defense Boost (Orange-brown), and Stamina Boost (Yellow).
- If staggered during the dance, the buff or heal will instead go to the hunting party, and the startled Qurupeco will drop a shiny and attempt to run away.
- If the hunter staggers the Qurupeco with an explosion/Sonic Bomb while it is buffing, the boosts will not go to the party. Players can only get the boosts by interrupting its call with an actual attack on its inflated sac.
- When low on Stamina, its abilities becomes hindered. It may trip at the end of charges and it will taunt more often. It also may fail to produce flames when pounding its flints together. Its tail turns an emerald green when fatigued. To recover Stamina, it will eat fish from Area 10 (Deserted Island) or Area 7 (Sandy Plains).
- In Monster Hunter Portable 3rd, its tail becomes blue when low on Stamina, and it eats fish from Area 7(Misty Peaks).
- Like the Great Jaggi and Great Baggi, the Qurupeco is one of the few monsters that cannot have its tail severed.
- Breaking Qurupeco's beak will not stop it from calling for help/healing. It will, however, take twice as long to perform the actions, giving the hunter(s) more time to stop it.
- Qurupeco's beak attack can hit a hunter up to four times. Defending is not recommended if a hunter's stamina isn't full. This is similar with Gypceros' and Yian Kut-Ku's attack.
- Qurupeco and its subspecies are the only Bird Wyverns capable of flight in the third generation.
- Some summoned monsters can stun Qurupeco with their roars.
- Despite being a Bird Wyvern, a hunter cannot obtain a Bird Wyvern Gem from a Qurupeco.
- Qurupeco's vocal sac is similar to that of a Frigatebird.
- There is an Event Quest where the Hunter can fight a tiny Qurupeco which, unlike the normal Qurupeco, can call a Deviljho.
- In High-Rank Quests and G-Rank Quests, Qurupeco may summon a Deviljho to assist it. However, when the Deviljho is low on Stamina it may attack the Qurupeco, dealing damage to it. It will even eat from the Qurupeco carcass after it has been killed.
- In the hotspring in the guild, when the player soaks in and presses the left directional button, the character will make rubber ducks that are shaped like a Gargwa, a Qurupeco, or a Crimson Qurupeco.
- There is an audio error where the music from Arzuros' intro could happen to play in Qurupeco's intro.
- Qurupeco and its subspecies can make hunters fall asleep.
- If fatigued the Qurupeco will also fall asleep.
- There's a Event Quest in which the hunter must fight two abnormally small Qurupecos and two tiny Crimson Qurupecos.