Monster Hunter Portable 3rd (モンスターハンターポータブル3rd) is the title of the newest Monster Hunter game on the PSP. MHP3 was released in Japan on December 1st, 2010. In this latest version of Monster Hunter, the producers focused heavily on graphics, details on maps and monsters.
News Updates of MHP3rd
- This is the first PSP Monster Hunter game that was not and will not get localized.
- There are new subspecies for monsters from MH3. These new subspecies can be fought only in Upper Rank.
- All old and new monsters have new monster icons.
Limited Edition PSP
A limited edition PSP, dubbed the "Hunters PSP", was announced at TGS 2010 and was released on December 1st, 2010.
Price: ¥19800 (~$240 US).
Model: PSP-3000 MHB Full set includes: PSP-3000 MHB, Battery pack 3.6v 2200mAH, AC Adapter (does not include the actual game).
It is confirmed, that Sony/Capcom will NOT release the PSP in America or Europe [PROOF: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-09-17-redesigned-monster-hunter-psp-not-for-eu ]
- MHP3rd Custom Theme (also on sale for ¥100 on the Japanese PSN store).
- Specially redesigned analog stick with a concave center.
- Larger battery pack (3.6v 2200mAH) allows longer gaming time.
- Thicker battery cover/rear grips for easier and more comfortable holding.
- Zinogre-head symbol on both rear grips.
- Yukumo Village symbol under the face buttons.
- Front speakers feature a Felyne paw design.
Second Limited Edition PSP
- Set being released on the 10th of February
- Both come with a MHP3rd Copy and special Monster Poster
- PSP come in either Black/Red featuring the Tigrex Subspecies and White/Blue featuring the Zinogre.
- There is less content than Monster Hunter Freedom Unite, but more quests than MHF2.
- There is high emphasis on graphics and sound quality.
- There is a temporary pouch which will store up to eight items. This pouch will be made empty when the player starts a new quest.
- There is no data transfer, but bonuses can be unlocked by loading a MHFU/MHP2G save file.
- Players are able to name their characters in Hiragana, Katakana and Kanji, which previous games did not allow.
- Improved communication system in multiplayer (unspecified; probably Voice Chat as there is some suspicious Icon in the demo).
- 4 player ad-hoc Multiplayer is confirmed.
- Currently, there is no infrastructure for online multiplayer. Current information about infrastructure only pertains to downloaded quests. Any information stating otherwise (other than Capcom) is just hearsay or unconfirmed rumors.
- According to this Kotaku japanese blog, there will be infrastructure for "web play", this is either incorrect or a case of "lost in translation".
- Coinciding with the release of Monster Hunter Portable 3rd, Sony released an updated version of Ad-Hoc Party, which through the use of the PS3 as a proxy, players can hunt online with fellow hunters. Source. This is officially verifiable, here, Ad-Hoc Party being posted on Sony's website, which is linked from a flash button from Capcom Japan's MHP3 page.
- The game is sold at a price of 5800 Yen. (About 70 US dollars, and 40 EU Euros)
- There was a playable demo of MHP3 at the Tokyo Game Show (Sept.16 for Press, Sept.18 for public) with 3 quests.
- The TGS demo also featured 2 "Felyne Comrades" for solo play, and a choice between all 12 available weapons.
- A public demo became available in October as a download from the Japanese PSN, although it requires a product code only MonHan Club (モンハン部) members will have access to. It features Royal Ludroth in the Deserted Island and Jade Barroth in the Tundra. http://www.capcom.co.jp/monsterhunter/P3rd/trial.html
- There is also "Drink" and "Hot Spring" Quests received from a Felyne. Fulfilling those Quests will expand the variety of drinks that can be taken into the Hot Spring / expand the Hot Spring.
- Hirokazu Hamamura, CEO of Famitsu Publisher Enterbrain, estimated the count of sold copies will exceed 5,000,000, which would make the game more popular than Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G.
- A special event is being held from 15.11.10 till 19.12.10 to celebrate the release of MHP3rd. One will be able to win prizes there.
- Capcom has released a little flash game to show how the village works and where everything is in the village.
- There is a new feature within the game. The feature is a WARNING sign that appears on the screen when a quest is completed. The player is then given an extra 50 minutes, in which to fight a new, usually powerful for the stage of the game, monster. Killing it is optional, but will grant extra rewards.
- New ways to change the Guild Card, and unlike the old Guild Card from MHFU, it now shows the hunter and their featured cats on the card with changeable background images.
- Equipment sets can now be registered with gems and clothes, and can be set to be equipped when doing specific quests.
- The Dragonblight ailment from Monster Hunter Tri is removed in MHP3.
- Purple Sharpness was also removed.
- Unlike in Monster Hunter Freedom Unite, Felyne Comrades are able to join the hunter in quests with giant monsters (i.e. Jhen Mohran), and can join quests in the Guild Hall while playing with other players.
Sales in Japan
In the first week, Monster Hunter Portable 3rd has sold 2 million copies.
By the Second week, Monster Hunter Portable 3rd had sold 3 million copies.
By the First Month, Monster Hunter Portable 3rd had sold 4 million copies.
Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker Collaboration
Main Article: Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker
Collaboration talks between Capcom and Kojima Productions first began in 2008 when Ryouzou Tsujimoto and Hideo Kojima met in a talk event at the 2008 Tokyo Game Show . The idea was first presented by Kojima to do a tie-up between the Monster Hunter and Metal Gear Solid series.
Secret Society Eagle Talon Collaboration
Secret Society Eagle Talon (秘密結社 鷹の爪) is a popular Japanese Flash animation created by Ryo Ono. The show is played on various internet video sites like DLE (Dream Link Entertainment). On September 16, 2010 at the Tokyo Games Show, it was announced to have a collaboration with Monster Hunter Portable 3rd. It will serve as a promotion for the game, much like MH Diary: Giri Giri Airu Village. At the same time, it will also reveal certain gameplay aspects.
Videos can be watched here: http://www.capcom.co.jp/monsterhunter/P3rd/mhp3rd_x_taka.html
Capcom has made many other collaborations out there in Japan that are exclusive to Japan. Capcom has made collaborations such as Monster Hunter type foods, to Monster Hunter T-shirts, to even Monster Hunter rallies and Monster Hunter energy drinks. New Monster Hunter keychains too! You can get these keychains and T-shirts from This website.
Information extracted from the Demo
Based on the data Capcom left in the trial, a list of the amount of equipment and other content that will be available in the full version of the game was made. Data is not binding and may change in full game.
- 678 Melee Weapons (MHF2: 592; MHFU: 1149)
- 213 Distance Weapons (MHF2: 167; MHFU: 353)
- 1128 Armor Pieces (MHF2: 1498; MHFU: 2091)
- 978 Items (MHF2: 959; MHFU: 1260)
Monster Hunter Portable 3rd HD Ver. is a high definition remastering of the game for the PlayStation 3, and is the first of Sony's "PSP Remasters" series for the PS3. The game was released in Japan on August 25, 2011. This game features enhanced HD graphics, 3D support and shared save support with the PSP.
Also, there's an "Extended Edition" of Monster Hunter Portable 3rd HD Ver. coming to e-Capcom store in Japan. It comes with a wireless Monster Hunter themed headset.
Opening Cinematic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47DKoSDeOUQ
Ice Barroth Demo Gameplay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFu3JzXD_3c&feature=related
Royal Ludroth Demo Gameplay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1Qw4QPyypM&feature=mfu_in_order&playnext=1&videos=g7icfKw_oFY
Warning System Gameplay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0d8jK_MyAsE
Official website videos page: http://www.capcom.co.jp/monsterhunter/P3rd/movie1.html
OpeningPSP『モンスターハンターポータブル ３rd』 オープニングムービー(03:39)
CreditsMonster Hunter Portable 3rd Credits(06:26)
231 views PSP『モンスターハンターポータブル ３rd』プロモーション映像２(03:10)
284 views PSP『モンスターハンターポータブル ３rd』プロモーション映像３(03:53)
Weapon Controls Videos
Great Sword: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjYaChJvhGM
Sword and Shield: Coming soon
Long Sword: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewPF-Y4Cunc
Dual Swords: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWawdeA2oPE
Switch Axe: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MM_WLJ_7AU0
Gun Lance: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTjNHRuhJN0
Heavy Bowgun: coming soon
Hunting Horn: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72Ees2GvDkM
Light Bowgun: Coming soon
- ↑ http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/06/02/mhp3rd_hd_date_set/
- ↑ http://www.andriasang.com/j/blog/2008/09/18/kojima_and_tsujimoto_tgs_talk_event/
- Official Website
- Confirmation of production
- Famitsu (Japanese)
- Full Famitsu Interview (JP)
- Monster Hunter Portable 3rd - Wikipedia