Lunastra is a dragon with leonine features and a cool coloration. It has a prominent mane, large fangs, and a distinct crest that resembles a sort of crown. Its wings are covered in fur. It is the female counterpart to Teostra.
Lunastra, and their male version Teostra, are unique monsters because they actually use their Flame Sac to produce a fire breathing effect, rather than just a beam or a fireball. The Lunastra can produce a highly flammable powder and, by using her wings, spread it across the air. After this, she gnashes her teeth to create a spark, which then causes the powder around herself to ignite and explode. The explosions have random range; they can be either close, reasonably far away or very far away from where she's standing. If the sparks are red, then the explosions will be close, but if the sparks are yellow, then the explosions will be distant.
Lunastra is the female counterpart to the Teostra, though the two are rarely seen alongside one another. Like Teostra, her flame-producing abilities can be diminished if she is poisoned or her crown-like horn structure is destroyed.
They are known to inhabit hot areas such as volcanoes and deserts, and are specially adapted to utilizing the Fire Element.
Other Non-Subspecies Forms
Hardcore (HC) Lunastra
|MHF2: Lunastra & Teostra Music Theme|
- Like Teostra, when Lunastra is poisoned, its flame aura disappears.
- Dragon Element is needed to break Lunastra's horns.
- Lunastra uses the same moves as its male counterpart Teostra, but there is one little difference; unlike average Teostra it can produce an explosion with its tail whip.
- Lunastra's roar requires Earplugs to block.
- A good armor skill to use when fighting Lunastra is the Terrain Skill, as it reduces or removes the effects of her health-sapping flame aura.
- Lunastra is not available in Guild Quests; they are only found in Village quests.
- G-rank Lunastra armor (Empress X) is obtainable; it requires High-rank Lunastra materials, and G-rank Teostra materials.
- After slaying a Lunastra, the old peddler woman will give players a Biography of the Hero of Jumbo, which can be used to craft a Sword and Shield.
- In the Volcanic Belt, Lunastra will only alternate between Areas 7, 6, and 4 except for the first fight, whilst in the Tower the hunter would be locked in a 1-on-1 fight in Area 10, with a giant boulder blocking the exit. However, she can also appear in Area 5 of the Tower for a while, before leaving for Area 10.
- Lunastra now rotates its head before charging, unlike Teostra.
- Lunastra was permanently added to the game on May 31, 2018 (UTC).
- Rather than focusing on putting down explosive powder and detonating it, like Teostra, Lunastra covers the environment in a smoldering blue substance that will burst into flames when hit by one of her fire attacks, sapping the health of hunters who stand on it. Said substance will produce various effects when interacting with some attacks, even from other monsters.
- The substance will burst when making contact with Teostra's flame breath attack.
- If Kushala Daora's tornado pass through it, it will become a tornado of blue flame.
- The blue substance will vanish if stroke with Crystalburst or Water Element strikes.
- Each of Lunastra's wings are separate breakable parts, unlike Teostra.
- Lunastra shares all of Teostra's Turf Wars with slight difference against Nergigante. While still physically loosing the fight, Lunastra will retaliate with a point blank explosion that will chip off every grown spike on Nergigante's body, dealing damage in the process, but will also douse Lunastra's own aura as a result.
- Lunastra's 'supernova' is performed twice in succession, after which all the fire patches in the area simultaneously disappear. Although more telegraphed than Teostra's, a wide area around Lunastra will be shrouded in health-sapping heat that can't be neutralized with Cool Drink. The heat will go off after the second blast.
- When Lunastra and Teostra are in the same area, when enraged they will perform a unique animation known as a 'Bond'. During this 'Bond', Lunastra and Teostra will simultaneously perform their 'supernovas' creating a massive explosion dealing significant damage to any player caught within it.
- Unlike other Elder Dragon quests, if an Elder Dragon invades in Lunastra's quest, they will stay in the locale, even after a Turf War.
- HC Lunastra's roar requires HG Earplugs to block.