Lavasioth is a bipedal Piscine Wyvern that reside in lava rather than water. Its body is covered with hardened magma, forming a tough outer shell. Its head is fish-like in nature, with rounded features and large, circular eyes. Its mouth is filled with sharp, needle-like fangs. Its legs are large with hard rock scales and end in fins rather than claws. Unlike other Piscine Wyverns, Lavasioth lacks wings. Instead, it has only a pair of medium-length pectoral fins. It has a long, thick tail to assist in when swimming through the thick magma it resides in.
Its attacks and movements are vaguely similar to those of a Plesioth. It can fire huge balls of magma at hunters. When these hit the ground, they scatter into smaller molten rocks which can still do considerable damage. Lavasioth is known to use its heavy body weight to slam or crush attackers.
Lavasioth is a rarely-seen Piscine Wyvern, living and swimming in lava. Like most large monsters, it is territorial and will attack intruders on sight.
Lavasioth lives in the Volcano area.
Other Non-Subspecies Forms
Hard Core (HC) Lavasioth
In Monster Hunter Frontier Season 8.0, HC Lavasioth was introduced, complete with several new attacks. It can rear up and fire a spread of fireballs into the air, which fall and damage hunters around it, and it can fire more projectiles from within the lava. It can also use double body-slams.
- Alongside Hypnocatrice, Lavasioth is one of only two monsters originally introduced in Monster Hunter Frontier to have been officially introduced into the main Monster Hunter Series.
- By extension of this, it is also one of the only Frontier monsters to have had its name officially localized to English.
- Lavasioth features some minor differences between Monster Hunter Frontier and Monster Hunter Freedom Unite.
- In general, the shape of its head it much more rounded and bulbous in Frontier, while in Freedom Unite, it is narrower, and with a sharper point on the snout.
- This is most likely due to the fact that the Frontier Lavasioth was made on a different engine and the monster would have had to be re-modeled from scratch for Freedom unite.
- In Frontier, Lavasioth will perform the same roar animation before its sliding maneuver as Diablos, Basarios, Monoblos, or Gravios will before their charge attacks.
- In Freedom Unite, Lavasioth will enter the lava pool in Area 10 of the volcano and launch sets of three fireballs by jumping in and out of the lava.
- Its head and back fins are breakable.
- Lavasioth is weakest to cutting damage on the stomach, and impact damage on the back.
- It is easy to notice when it is weak enough to capture; the layer of flowing lava on its body will disappear.
- Like the Plesioth, its areas are limited. It can only move between areas 9 and 10 in the Volcano.
- It can chain up to four body slams, most often when it is in rage.
- Lavasioth's Hip Check is blockable, but even if blocked the Hunter will still take minor damage (even if they are using Guard +2).