Hypnocatrice is a Bird Wyvern introduced in Monster Hunter Frontier Season 1.0. It is known to inhabit a variety of environments and can be encountered at high and G-ranks in Monster Hunter Freedom Unite, and from HR11 in Monster Hunter Frontier.
Hypnocatrice is a medium-sized Bird Wyvern covered in bright, colourful feathers. It has extremely powerful legs with large feet, and a hard, sharp beak. Despite its feathered appearance, Hypnocatrice flies using bat-like, membraned wings, leaving its feather arrangements strictly for display purposes. It possesses a sleep sac, which allows it to produce a colourless mist that can cause attackers to fall unconscious.
It is equipped with a sleeping sac that can put hunters and other monsters to sleep. Its strong legs allow it to deliver powerful kicks, and its small size and light weight allow it to move with speed and agility during battle.
Hypnocatrice is not particularly aggressive or territorial, but will stand its ground if threatened.
Other Non-Subspecies Forms
Hard Core (HC) Hypnocatrice
HC Hypnocatrice appears similar to a normal Hypnocatrice. The normal orange coloured feathers are now a warm pink color, with its back feathers featuring a small yellow tint. Its wings also have more of a pink colour in them, which it will use to create much stronger winds than a normal Hypnocatrice.
- Along with Lavasioth, Hypnocatrice is one of only two monsters originally exclusive to Monster Hunter Frontier to make it into the main Monster Hunter series. By extension, it is also one of the only Frontier monster to have its name officially localized to English.
- If Hypnocatrice jumps more than twice in its Jumping Attack, it will perform a taunt at the end.
- There are minor visual differences between Hypnocatrice in Monster Hunter Frontier and Monster Hunter Freedom Unite:
- In Freedom Unite, its back feathers are rainbow-coloured, whereas in Frontier, they are a solid orange.
- This is most likely due to the fact that the Frontier Hypnocatrice was built using a different engine and had to be re-modelled from scratch for Freedom Unite. The addition of rainbow feathers was most likely a retrospective design decision by the character artists at Capcom.
- In Frontier, Hypnocatrice does not have the jump kick attack, but instead has an upward sleep gas attack that it does not have in MHFU.
- Hypnocatrice's only breakable part is its beak.
- Its name most likely came from two different words. One is "Hypnos" which is the Greek god of sleep. The other is "Cockatrice." The Cockatrice is a mythical Wyvern with a rooster's head.
- When enraged, Hypnocatrice's tail feathers will stand up more prominently, unless near death, when they lie flat.
- Hypnocatrice was the target in the easiest quest of the PSN demo.
- They can be found in the Desert.
- There is a Hypnocatrice that can create large sleep-gas bubbles in the air that will slowly fall and anyone that is caught in them will be put to sleep.