The Hyper State (Japanese 獰猛化) is a mysterious phenomenon in monsters that heightens their aggression. Every large monster in Monster Hunter Generations and Monster Hunter XX can be affected by the Hyper State except Volvidon, Lagombi, Arzuros, Seltas, Cephadrome, Bulldrome, Velocidrome, Iodrome, Gendrome, Giadrome, Great Maccao, Variants, Elder Dragons, Akantor, Ukanlos, Atoraru Ka, and Deviants.
What is the Hyper State?
The Hyper State is a state that causes monsters to be put into a near permanent enraged state, making most monsters more aggressive while also making them more relentless. The Hyper State also makes some of a monster's attacks more powerful, such as Rathalos' claw attack. It is currently unknown as to why monsters experience this phenomenon.
In this state, certain parts of a monster become shrouded in a black mist, causing certain attacks from those parts to deal more damage than usual or be larger in size. When a monster is about to attack with one of its parts that is covered in black mist, the covered area will flash red and a distinctive sound will play before the monster unleashes the attack. Some Hyper-boosted attacks are executed slower than normal, while others are executed much faster. Throughout the fight, the black mist will travel to different parts though only two body parts will be covered by it. If a hunter attacks a part of the monster with the black mist, the Hunter Art gauge(s) will increase more than usual, creating a risk and reward type of system. In addition to this, Hyper monsters have more health, do more damage, go into rage mode more often, and cannot be fatigued.
To fully upgrade any weapon of a monster, one must use parts from Hyper Monsters to fully upgrade weapons such as a Hyper Mizutsune's scales. Hyper materials can only be obtained as rewards at the end of a Hyper monster quest or through a sidequest. In addition to this, there is a special "R series" armor set unlocked by hunting the Hyper version of the monster, which become available after completing the Hub Quest "Triple Toady Terror." For Felynes, Hyper monsters unlock stronger versions of use monster's equipment, both weapon and armor.
List of Hyper Material Sources
This is a rough list of each Hyper material's sources, based on the rewards of their respective quests. Some items are exclusively rewarded from Subquests.
- Hyper Extract: All Hyper Monsters
- Hyper Fang: Blangonga, Congalala, Lavasioth, Najarala, Nargacuga, Tetsucabra, Zamtrios
- Hyper Fang+: Barioth, Deviljho, Diablos, Gammoth, Glavenus, Tigrex
- Hyper Claw: Barroth, Congalala, Daimyo Hermitaur, Kecha Wacha, Malfestio, Nerscylla, Nibelsnarf, Rathian, Royal Ludroth, Shogun Ceanataur, Tetsucabra
- Hyper Claw+: Agnaktor, Gore Magala, Lagiacrus, Mizutsune, Seltas Queen, Seregios, Rathalos, Tigrex
- Hyper Monster Bone: Barroth, Brachydios, Daimyo Hermitaur, Duramboros, Gypceros, Khezu, Nargacuga, Shogun Ceanataur, Yian Garuga, Yian Kut-Ku
- Hyper Horn+: Astalos, Diablos, Duramboros, Gore Magala, Lagiacrus, Rajang, Seregios, Zinogre
- Hyper Flame Sac: Basarios, Gravios, Rathalos, Silver Rathalos, Rathian, Gold Rathian, Yian Garuga, Yian Kut-Ku
- Hyper Pyroscale: Agnaktor, Glavenus, Lavasioth
- Hyper Aqua Sac: Kecha Wacha, Royal Ludroth, Seltas Queen
- Hyper Fluid: Nibelsnarf, Mizutsune, Plesioth, Royal Ludroth
- Hyper Electro Sac: Khezu
- Hyper Charged Shell: Astalos, Lagiacrus
- Hyper Shockfur: Rajang, Zinogre
- Hyper Ice Block: Barioth, Blangonga, Gammoth, Zamtrios
- Hyper Draco. Scale: Deviljho, Gold Rathian, Gore Magala, Silver Rathalos
- Hyper Toxin: Basarios, Gypceros, Nerscylla, Rathalos, Rathian, Gold Rathian, Yian Garuga
- Hyper Paratoxin: Najarala
- Hyper Sleep Sac: Gravios, Malfestio
- Hyper Narcotoxin: Plesioth, Uragaan
- Hyper Catalyst: Brachydios
- The Hyper State is supposed to be the monster version of Hunter Arts.
- Smaller bosses didn't get the Hyper State in-game, because of their smaller size and from their parts being harder to hit compared to larger monsters.
- The Hyper State is able to affect them lore wise.
- The Hyper State was added so players could try new tactics and fight monsters differently.
- Hyper Deviljho, Rajang, Gold Rathian, and Silver Rathalos are DLC-exclusive in Monster Hunter Generations.
- Hyper Barioth, Barroth, Basarios, Congalala, Diablos, Gravios, and Nerscylla are G Rank-exclusive.