Gobul is a Leviathan that shows great resemblance to a puffer fish with the addition of retractable spikes, and an angler fish with its attractive lure. It can be found in the Flooded Forest and Deserted Island.
Gobul is often relatively passive until attacked. It spends most of its time lying under the river bed, exposing only its whiskers, to disguise itself as a common plant. During this hidden state, hunters can gather from it, but should be cautious, as this is used as a trap to lure prey. It can also be attacked when in this state. Sonic bombs can be used, in the same fashion as Diablos, to bring it out of hiding only when not inflated, doing so will give a small window of opportunity in which to attack the Gobul. While it tends to stay in the water, it does sometimes climb up on land, even if not chasing after prey.
When Gobul is under water and hidden in an area with a fishing spot, a Frog can be used to fish him out similar to fishing Plesioth in previous games. This causes it to flip over for about 15 seconds, after which it will continue the fight on land in the current area. Fishing out Gobul is often a subquest, and will lead to extra rewards.
Its attacks include: biting hunters with its huge mouth, "inflating" itself (exposing sharp spikes on its back) then rolling over hunters, swinging its large, needle-covered tail back and forth, inflicting paralysis, and an underwater "vacuum breath," with which it draws hunters in close to its mouth and bites down. Otherwise, Gobul may hide underground to leap out at a target or recover stamina. Its bioluminescent lure can also inflict KO status to the hunter, but can be broken just like the Gypceros' crest. Its lure can be broken and tail cut off. When enraged, Gobul will stay inflated, and its spikes will remain visible.
Gobul isn't particularly aggressive, preferring to hide in the sediment at the bottom of the river.
Gobul is found in the Flooded Forest and the Deserted Island. It largely remains in the various lakes and rivers of the region, although it can come onto land.
Monster Hunter 3
|Item Name||Able||Effectiveness||Duration (1st time)||Duration (2nd time)||Notes|
|Pitfall Trap||✔||★★☆||On land only.|
Doesn't have any effect, similar to Gigginox.
Works if he is in the ground
and not enraged.
For the damage formula (how it's calculated), hitzone charts, Gobul info and more click the following links: Monster Hunter 3 Damage Formula or Monster Hunter 3 Hitzone Charts. Images created by Inkoseh.
- Gobul will try to use its lantern to stun the hunter, even after a hunter has broken it. It will no longer have a stun effect after being broken.
- While hidden and not attacking, Gobul can be difficult to distinguish among the underwater plants. Its whiskers are, however, accompanied by a string of rising bubbles.
- Instead of the steady stream of bubbles normally found, Gobul will release small bursts of bubbles every few moments, every time it exhales. Additionally, the bubbles the Gobul emits tend to be a murky brown color, rather than the colorless kind that normally spawns in an area.
- When Gobul is unaware of the hunter's presence, its whiskers can be carved 2 times, its body can be attacked, or it can be forced out of hiding with a Sonic Bomb.
- However, if the Gobul is aware of a hunter near it while hiding, it may extend its spines while surfacing. This will cause paralysis. Gobul may also try to stun the hunter with its lantern or try to use the "vacuum breath".
- If the Gobul hides while attacking, the top of its head and back will be visible (seen as a slightly lighter circular lump of mud). This lump can be seen rotating, and moving in the direction of the hunter it plans to attack next. While on the waters edge of Area 4, but still on land, Gobul is capable of hiding. The lump of mud will be seen rising above the surface of the ground.
- Gobul's lantern will dim when the monster is fatigued, but can still be used, though it has a slower charge up time.
- When weakened, the Gobul will rest at Area 8. It will also hunt Epioth to recover stamina.
- When weakened the Gobul will use a secret passageway to go to from Area 3 to 8.
- The Gobul, like the Gigginox, is not affected by Flash Bombs. However, like all monsters, it will become stunned when hit with a stunning attack.
- Gobul can stun other monsters with its lantern if they are watching it. This is particularly noticeable in the dual offline/online arena.
- Gobul's lantern flash attack can be blocked or "dodged". Blocking takes a strangely low amount of stamina.
- When stunned, Gobul's lantern will hang limply in front of its face. This makes it easily within reach of most weapons.
- Fishing out Gobul at the beginning of a quest (by using a frog) is a frequently-used tactic that can allow hunters time to attack with zero resistance, thus making the hunt considerably easier.
- However, this can only be done in Area 4, the Gobul's starting area.
- If having difficulty initially "fishing-out" the Gobul in Area 4 (via offline "Urgent Quest, Accident Investigation"), first visit Area 6 for the Gobul introduction video, then Gobul should be available in Area 4 for subsequent attempts.
- For those that wish to fish out Gobul, frogs can be found in Area 2, near the path to Area 4. Frogs can also found in Area 10 of Deserted Island
- Gobul can be fished out straight into a Pitfall or Shock trap.
- If the Hunter is on land, and the Gobul is underwater, the Gobul can still spot the Hunter. Even if spotted, the Hunter can still fish out Gobul.
- If Gobul is fished out onto barrel bombs, it may set them off.
- If you are stunned by Gobul's lantern attack and it uses it again you will have the stun debuff taken off, with no damage taken.
- In the Event Quest 'Gobuled everything in sight!' the hunter will hunt a huge Gobul. Its attack power is increased and so is the range, making it a problem, especially when in the water. It can still be fished out however, making it so that hunting it will not be much of a problem.