Glavenus is a large Brute Wyvern with dark red scales covering its body. Two rows of blue, bony plates run along its back, going from the eyes to the tail. Its underside is more of a cream color. The main feature of Glavenus's physiology is its huge, sword-like tail. The tail has originally the same color as its back plates, although it will turn a rusty color or a fiery red during the battle. Its hind legs are powerful and muscular, while its front legs are much smaller and mostly useless. The face and mandibles are covered in sturdy plating, particularly resembling a Carnotaurus ' head.
Glavenus is able to sharpen its blade-like tail in its mouth to give iself the ability to create fiery explosions with its tail. These explosions not only give Glavenus much greater range with some of its attacks, but also make them more powerful. Glavenus is also able to breathe fire projectiles from its mouth.
Glavenus are relentless and aggressive predators. Glavenus oftens drags its tail across the ground and roars at the foe. This shows the enemy that it uses fire as a weapon in an attempt to scare them off. Not only are they considered one of the strongest Brute Wyverns, they are even believed to be the smartest ones around.
Glavenus's Japanese name (Dinovaldo) is a reference to Dinosaur (恐竜), Nova (ノバ), and Halberd (ハルベルド).
Music ThemesMHGen: Glavenus Theme
- Glavenus's concept was a Land-Based Rathalos.
- Glavenus's overall design was to give it the appearance of a glimmering flame.
- To make Glavenus different from other monsters, the developers chose to give its tail three phases; Sharpened, Heated, and Dull.
- Glavenus' arms and back can be wounded, head can be wounded twice and its tail can be wounded and severed.
- Glavenus's tail can only be severed when it is heated.
- When Glavenus's tail is severed, it actually deals damage to hunters when it lands.
- When enraged, Glavenus's back spikes will turn red. Smoke will also come out of its mouth.
- When fatigued, it will fail to spit fire projectiles from its mouth. It will also trip after doing some of its tail-based attacks.
- Glavenus' roar requires Earplugs to block.
- In-game, the Glavenus encountered are always male.
- If its throat is attacked while it's glowing red, Glavenus will fall over and drop a shiny, and the throat will turn back to normal.