Gigginox are Flying Wyverns that live on the Tundra.
They are related to the Khezu, in that they are cave-dwelling Wyverns. However, they don't sense prey with their nose; Gigginox have a special organ that can detect the body heat of their prey.
Gigginox are wide and flat, unlike the Khezu, which is bulky and has large fat reserves. Also, Gigginox does not have highly moisturised skin, and unlike the Khezu, it does not have visible veins. Gigginox is notably much more agile than the Khezu, being able to flip around without difficulty, and being much faster, probably due to their flat body, and their ability to sense body-heat instead of smelling. While the Khezu primarily uses its developed hind legs to leap around or to the ceilings of caves, Gigginox will use all four limbs plus its tail to propel itself, suggesting that the Gigginox's limbs aren't as well developed as the Khezu.
Also similar to the Khezu is the Gigginox's elastic neck and tail, which can stretch out to twice their length in an attempt to attack the hunter. Their top skin is grey-white, and their under-skin is dark red. When in rage mode a Gigginox's top color will change to a darker grey, almost black hue. Their head, tail and chest marks are white but have eye-like sections that glow purple when inside dark areas; these markings can be broken. Gigginox have a circular, leech-like maw, which contains many sharp teeth. Gigginox are quadrupedal, like the Tigrex and Nargacuga.
They can also attach to the ceilings of caves like the Khezu. In this position they can do a unique attack where they will drag the hunter underneath themselves, then drop down and slowly consume the hunter, unless they are freed by their own effort or with the aid of fellow hunters. A Dung Bomb will instantly stop this attack.
They can spit poison or release it as a form of gas from pores under their body. Gigginox can lay gelatinous globs, called Giggi Sacs, that spawn young Giggi. However, they may also excrete purple globs that burst into poisonous clouds in mere seconds, these may trick those unfamiliar with Gigginox into attacking them instead. As Giggi Sacs take a longer time to produce, experienced hunters can tell beforehand which kind will come out. Gigginox has a powerful roar, which requires High-Grade Earplugs to block.
The Gigginox is known to live in the Tundra.
Monster Hunter 3
|Item Name||Able||Effectiveness||Duration (1st time)||Duration (2nd time)||Notes|
|Dung Bomb||✔||★★★||Used to get out of pin attack and to get it out of an area.|
|Meat||✔||★☆☆||Only confirmed eating dropped meat if placed in areas 2 and 3 of the Tundra.|
For the damage formula (how it's calculated), hitzone charts, Gigginox info and more click the following links: Monster Hunter 3 Damage Formula or Monster Hunter 3 Hitzone Charts. Images created by Inkoseh.
- When low on stamina, Gigginox will be unable to spit poison (however, those that are too close to its mouth can still be infected with poison).
- Gigginox takes longer to excrete a Giggi Sac than a poison glob.
- Since Gigginox detects targets by sensing body heat, it does not have eyes. Therefore Flash Bombs have no effect.
- Gigginox can be poisoned despite using the status itself. It does very minimal damage however.
- It can attach itself to the ceilings and move. It can also launch attacks from above.
- Gigginox will occasionally lay a Giggi Sac on the ceiling, where it can only be hit by a Gunner or a Bounce Bomb.
- Its skin darkens as it enters Rage Mode. It returns to normal when it calms down.
- Additionally, the head hardens and will deflect most weapons, while the tail becomes softer. This is an inverse of the normal state, where the head is soft and the tail is hard.
- To escape from a Pitfall Trap, it will briefly hover, but will do this at no other time unless flying to different areas.
- Gigginox's tail cannot be cut off, but it can be damaged for more rewards at the end of the quest.
- In higher rank quests, Gigginox's poison is far more potent than in lower rank quests, as it drains health at a faster rate. This special venom is discernible by its different colouration from the standard Poison status.
- It is now able to do a double swipe with its tail, just like with its head.
- It can also make a jump during which it doesn't turn itself.
- Gigginox can lay a Giggi Sac on its back during G-Rank Quests, making it harder to destroy, and dropping Giggi directly onto nearby hunters.