|Some of the names in this Article use an unofficial English translation of its official Japanese Name.|
The name is obtained either by using Japanese translating programs or through previous existing English equivalent terms in the game. The names will be used as quick references around other articles in the Monster Hunter Wiki until Capcom reveals the official English names for them.
Giaorugu is a bipedal Brute Wyvern that inhabits the Polar Sea. Its upper body is covered with freezing blue spinal plates, a light blue scaly hide, and a blueish white underbelly. The two head crests of Abiorugu have fused together to form one larger, stronger crest ringed with spines; it also has a long snout, spikes that grow on its jaw, and two long fangs protruding from its jaw. Its legs are muscular and powerful, like all Brute Wyverns, and reinforced with spines. Giaorugu's tail is large, slim, and resembles a blade. It is also unique; when slammed into the ground, it will become encrusted with ice, which makes all attacks with the tail more far reaching and powerful. Its head-plate spikes, jaw spikes, claws, toes, diamond-shaped spikes, and tail blade are light yellow in colour.
It is capable of using Ice-based attacks, whereas the common Abiorugu uses Fire. Giaorugu is also capable of cartwheeling its body and rolling forward to attack in a wheel-like fashion similar to that of Uragaan. It can shoot an ice beam, similar to Ukanlos, and can utilize its jaw to throw boulders.
Giaorugu is an active predator. It is aggressive and more than willing to battle any perceived threat that enters its territory.
Giaorugu lives only in the Polar Sea, which is it dependent on for its ice-tail attacks.
Other Non-Subspecies Forms
Main Article: Zenith Giaorugu
- Giaorugu's head crest can be broken, along with one of its fangs. Its tail spikes and bladed tail can be broken as well (although the main body of the tail cannot be cut off).
- Giaorugu is believed to be the ancestor of Abiorugu.
- Giaorugu's roars and growls are different from those of Abiorugu.
- Giaorugu's roar requires HG Earplugs to block.
- Some of its attacks, including a roll and chin slam attack, originally come from Uragaan.
- Giaorugu's concept and design motif came from the Gunlance.
- When in Area 4 of the Polar Sea, Giaorugu can cause chunks of ice and snow to fall if its attacks hit the walls.