Ceadeus resembles a giant whale with a face similar to a Dunkleosteus. It has a prominent beard of fur and two massive horns, which constantly grow and eventually overtake the creature’s eyes, leaving it blind. Luminous organs line the monster's underside, which turn from blue to red when it is enraged.
Ceadeus is the only offline monster players fight (in Monster Hunter Tri) that is able to inflict Dragonblight, a status effect that decreases affinity for a fixed amount of time before disappearing. Other monsters capable of inflicting this ailment include Deviljho and Alatreon, along with Stygian Zinogre in Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, and it is unique to monsters with the dragon element.
The Ceadeus is known to be a rather peaceful creature until provoked. They do not bother humankind unless they feel threatened.
It resides in a series of underwater canyons and ruins deep below Moga Island, but is unable to travel onto land.
|Horns (both are broken simultaneously)|
Monster Hunter 3
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate
Source: BradyGames Guide
|1st time||2nd time|
For the damage formula (how ít's calculated), hitzone charts, Ceadeus info and more click the following links: Monster Hunter 3 Damage Formula or Monster Hunter 3 Hitzone Charts. Images created by Inkoseh.
The battle is separated into two parts: the pursuit of and the final battle with Ceadeus. At the beginning of the quest, a short scene details the monster swimming just outside the hunter's camp before diving down into the cave networks. What the hunter must then do is pursue Ceadeus on its journey and battle it along the way. Ceadeus swims through two areas; the first being a slim canyon, and the second being a canyon opening into a small cylindrical area before tapering off again. Unless angered, its attacks are not aimed primarily at the hunter, as they are mainly flicks of the tail and quick turns. However, it may occasionally attack hunters deliberately in the first two areas, even when not enraged. If Ceadeus' beard is broken, it will begin to swim faster through the first two areas. At the end of the second area, Ceadeus will attack and destroy the rubble blocking the way to its final destination.
Upon following Ceadeus through the aquatic canyons the hunter reaches the third and final area.
(Note: Within the first two areas in which the hunter follows Ceadeus, the only parts that can be broken are its beard, hood, and tail. Its horns can only be broken in the final stage of the battle.)
The final area resembles an underwater arena, with Ceadeus taking up position in the center. A short scene then shows Ceadeus' chest and chin taking on a blue hue, which then turns red as it becomes enraged. At this point Ceadeus attacks more fiercely, ranging from basic Leviathan attacks to its signature move Current Storm in which it sucks in an incredible amount of water and expels it at the hunter. In this area there are also small caverns to hide in for temporary safety.
Cha-Cha disappearing upon the completion of Lagiacrus' offline Urgent Quest is due to his discovery of Ceadeus deep beneath Moga Village. While absent, he is attacked by it and barely manages to escape.
Once Ceadeus has been driven to the final area and repelled, it will spawn there each time the quest is re-taken, until slain.
During the final stage of the battle, the hunter can load and fire two underwater ballistae very similar to the ones used against the Elder Dragon Jhen Mohran. Ammo for them can be obtained by trading with the Argosy Captain, prior to defeating Ceadeus for the first time. Alternatively, it can be collected near both ballistae.
|MH3: Ceadeus Music Theme Part 1|
|MH3: Ceadeus Music Theme Part 2|
- Ceadeus gives six body carves, and its broken horn gives two.
- Ceadeus beard must be broken before continuing on to the second stage of the fight. If the hunter fails to break it before the end of the second area, the hunter will fail the quest, and get a message that says "Failed to reroute the Elder Dragon".
- Once its beard is broken, Ceadeus will rapidly swim to stage two of the fight, and ignores the hunter up until stage two.
- Ceadeus is unaffected by Status Effects (Poison, Paralysis, Sleep and K.O).
- There is a Dragonator and Ballista in the third area of the Underwater Ruin, all of which can be used to damage Ceadeus.
- Ceadeus' beard, head, tail, and horns can be broken.
- When its horns are broken, one falls off and can be carved twice.
- If enough damage is dealt to Ceadeus, but the hunter fails to kill it before time ends, it will flee and the hunter will get repel rewards.
- Ceadeus' roar requires HG earplugs to block.
- Ceadeus is the only offline Elder Dragon.
- Ceadeus is also the only offline monster capable of inflicting Dragonblight.
- The first time a hunter fights Ceadeus, Cha-Cha will automatically come with him/her, even if he is set to stay in the village.