Valphalk is a slender Elder Dragon covered in gleaming silver scales. Its most notable feature is its wings, which have fused into a trident-like structure. Its back is lined with fin-like projections. Its head has a small crest and its eyes are blue.
Valphalk flies at high speed by discharging Dragon Element energy from its wings. It can manipulate the alignment and shape of its wings to vary the attacks it uses.
Valphalk is a largely nomadic monster and can be found in a wide range of environments, though it has not been spotted in volcanic environments.
Valphalk's name comes from a combination of the English word, Valor, and the Japanese word for falcon, Farukon (Japanese ファルコン).
- While in Rage Mode, Valphalk will begin venting excessive amounts of its exhaust from its wings, head, and chest. It will also use attacks that inflict Dragonblight more aggressively.
- Valphalk's attacks with its wings vary depending on the state its wings are in. While facing forward, it can attack using incredibly fast charges, 'punches' (with a long range that also extends further whilst in Rage Mode), and even, occasionally, a unique attack where it rockets off into the sky, flying around to find an angle behind a hunter, and then crashes into its target. Conversely, while facing backward, Valphalk attacks using slams, charged blasts, and missiles from a long range. It should be noted, however, that Valphalk can switch between these 'wing modes' at will, and will attempt to combo certain attacks from these modes.
- During Rage Mode, many of Valphalk's attacks with its wings will inflict Dragonblight due to the excessive amounts of exhaust being vented from its wings, making its wing slams and slashes more dangerous due to this.
- Like the Stygian Zinogre, a number of Valphalk's attacks can consistently inflict Dragonblight, especially during Rage Mode. In such a similar situation, it'd be wise to pack Nulberries, Blight Resistance, or, despite its Elemental weaknesses, use a Raw weapon to subvert the high consistency of Dragonblight affliction.
- Valphalk's front claws, back, chest, head, and wings can be broken. Its tail can also be cut off.
- The Valphalk Blademaster weapons have unusual Sharpness gauges that consist of only white and red levels.