Barioth is a quadrupedal Flying Wyvern, with various cat-like features. Its body is mostly covered with icy white plates and spikes along its neck, spine, and tail. Its face features two massive, curved tusks of an amber coloration. Its forelegs are longer and more powerful than its back legs, with deadly spikes along its wings, as well as three large claws.
Barioth can move quickly and attack wildly, presenting a challenge even to experienced hunters. Barioth uses its fangs and claws to slide around on the ice making it hard to keep up with. It is able to slide its tail to its side and wield it in a club-like fashion, which can cause the Iceblight status. It can use its claws and wings for a homing glide attack from the sky on unsuspecting prey. It is capable of producing a wind blast; Barioth will spit out an icy ball that will create a powerful tornado. However, this wind blast will not work while Barioth is fatigued. Barioth can and will perform side jumps and dodges, similar to other Pseudowyverns.
Barioth inhabits the Tundra, where the roaming herbivores on which it preys are large and plentiful.
Other Non-Subspecies Forms
Main Article: Frozen Barioth
A Variant of Barioth that appears in Monster Hunter Explore.
Monster Hunter 3
For the damage formula (how it's calculated), hitzone charts, Barioth info and more click the following links: Monster Hunter 3 Damage Formula or Monster Hunter 3 Hitzone Charts. Images created by Inkoseh.
Monster Hunter Portable 3rd
Information is taken from mhp3rd.net
|Hitzone||Cut. D.||Imp. D.||Shot D.|
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate
Source: BradyGames Guide
|Item Name||Able||Effectiveness||Duration (1st time)||Duration (2nd time)||Notes|
|Flash Bomb||✔||★★☆||Causes Barioth to go into rage mode.|
- Its tusks and wing spikes can be broken, and its tail can be cut off.
- When low on Stamina, the Barioth will be unable to use its icy blasts and will take time to recover from doing a triple charge. To recover stamina, it will feed on a Popo or Anteka.
- Barioth can reach any area in the Tundra except Area 5, and it only visits Area 1 if it is weak.
- When in Rage mode, its blue eyes turn red, although they leave no trace behind like Nargacuga's.
- Destroying Barioth's wings will affect its movement on the ice. The claws on its feet do not break, but the spikes on its forewings do break. When broken, it will spend longer recovering from most of its attacks and may sometimes slip on the ice, occasionally dropping a shiny when it does.
- Whilst entering a new area, if the Barioth notices a hunter, it will launch an aerial claw strike in mid-air.
- In terms of attack patterns, Barioth bears a resemblance to Nargacuga. Both prefer jumping over, running, and using various tail swipes when stationary.
- When in Rage Mode, Barioth's speed increases sharply.
- Barioth's roar requires Earplugs to block.
- Barioth weapons are among the highest in terms of Affinity, from 20% to 55%. It should be noted, however, that Barioth weapons have considerably less affinity in Monster Hunter Portable 3rd, ranging from 15% to 35%.
- Barioth no longer leaps like Nargacuga. Instead, it only does its straight charge, at the end of which it, often stops and taunts, like at the end of its leaping charge.
- It gains a side attack. Barioth jumps besides a Hunter, then does a hipcheck. Sometimes, it will do this move twice in a row.
- Barioth is an Exotic Species (遷悠種)