Aptonoth are cow-like creatures with leathery gray skin. They have black stripes along their backs and a head reminiscent of a Hadrosaur. They have a large, two-pronged crest protruding from their heads and a flat, spiked tail.
These docile creatures are hunted for their meat by humans and other monsters. They always travel in groups. When one Aptonoth is threatened, others will run away for safety, but sometimes the alpha male of the Aptonoth will attempt to fight back before fleeing himself. Sometimes the fleeing Aptonoth will walk over the River in Forest & Hills Area 1, probably to return back to their herd.
- If a large, predatory monster is in the same area as an Aptonoth and its stamina is low, it will often go kill and devour an individual. Such monsters include Rathalos, Rathian, Zinogre, and Tigrex. Rathian and Rathalos will also fly to other areas in order to eat an Aptonoth.
- When Aptonoth are attacked by a Hunter, the smaller ones will flee while the big one will attack the Hunter 1-2 times and then flee.
- When an average sized Aptonoth is attacked by a Rathian or Rathalos, a slightly larger Aptonoth may attack the Rathian/Rathalos, much like it does to a hunter. Large Aptonoth do this more commonly.
- Aptonoth closely resemble the real world Parasaurolophus, featuring similar head ornamentation.
- Hunters can find a Large Aptonoth that give 3 body carves in the Moga Woods, and can yield a Super-Sized Dung as a reward for Hunters after turning in the kills to Junior, the Chief's Son.
- If a large monster is in an adjacent area to the herd, Aptonoth will crowd together and look around warily.
- Aptonoth often appear in groups of 3, yet in some of the 1 star quests, they can be found in groups of 5.
- There is a glitch where Rathian or Rathalos will kill an Aptonoth in the transition area between Area 2 and 3 of the Deserted Island. The hunter can see from Area 2 the Wyvern devouring the Aptonoth, but will be unable to approach without being moved to Area 3.
- Aptonoth carcasses are relatively common throughout many of the areas; they are used to restore stamina to Great Jaggi, Gigginox, Great Baggi, and occasionally Barioth.
- Even though Aptonoth are not present in cold locations, there is an Aptonoth carcass in Area 7 of the Tundra, possibly carried there by a Wyvern.
- Hunters can find a Large Aptonoth in the Everwood during Expeditions, but unlike Monster Hunter Tri or Monster Hunter 3U, it can be carved only twice and doesn't have its own rewards.
- In the intro for Aptonoth, they are shown fleeing from the player at the sight of them. This never happens ingame unless they are provoked.
- Aptonoth can be found in the Snowy Mountains.