Amatsu have a unique body structure. The head itself is quite small, though it is adorned with massive golden horns, flanked by tendrils of flesh. Amatsu's body is largely pale white in color, and covered entirely in fins that stretch along all four limbs. From its back rise more pointed fins, whereas its underside is grey and scaled.
Because it flies through the air and spends no time on land, Amatsu has almost vestigial feet and small, nearly useless back legs. The front legs are bordered by more white fins.
When enraged, red veins stand out more prominently in its wing membranes, and when near death, its chest, horns and eyes shine with a faint golden luminescence.
In battle, Amatsu hovers above the ground. Its movements are reminiscent of fighting the Leviathans underwater in Monster Hunter Tri, and many of its attacks are similar to those used by them, such as the charge, tail whip, and roar animations. It also has a wind barrier around its body, but unlike Kushala Daora's wind barrier, it cannot blow the hunter over. However, Ballista shots will be somewhat less effective as long as the barrier remains active. The barrier is also less stable than Daora's, as it temporarily disappears when Amatsu uses certain attacks.
One of its most dangerous attacks is when it creates a small twister that begins to suck in the hunter, then hits them hard with a tornado-shrouded charge. Even if the first main twister is avoided, it will revolve around the second twister, encompassing a wider area with every revolution. If the hunter is close enough when hit, it will cause him/her to fly back into the twister. The second twister will remain on the field for several seconds before disappearing and can still damage the hunter.
When weakened enough, Amatsu uses its other most powerful move: it flies high into the air and uses three massive water beams. The attack consists of two parts; the beams themselves will strike the ground, and then the areas where the ground was struck explode with water.
Amatsu spend most of the time airborne, though when combating hunters it tends to fly low to the ground. It is believed that Amatsu lives only in the Sacred Pinnacle and flying around it, passing the Yukumo Village.
It is fought in the Sacred Pinnacle, and spends the majority of its time patrolling the skies.
Monster Hunter Portable 3rd
Information are taken from mhp3rd.net.
|Hitzone||Cut. D.||Imp. D.|
|Head||60 (70)||70 (80)||25||0||15||10||35|
Numbers in brackets are for Amatsu's second state of rage (with golden horns and purple markings).
|MHP3rd/MHX: Amatsu Theme (Phase 1)|
|MHP3rd/MHX: Amatsu Theme (Phase 2)|
- Its front two fins can each be broken/damaged. The head can be damaged twice; the first time Amatsu will lose one horn, the second time its right mustache will be cut. Amatsu's back can also be broken. In addition, its tail can be severed, giving two extra carves.
- Breaking parts of Amatsu or severing its tail doesn't have any effect on its powers, unlike previous Elder Dragons (like Kushala Daora). However, Amatsu falls to the ground if its fins or its chest receive enough damage, giving a good opening to attack. This can be done several times during the battle.
- Amatsu's roar requires HG Earplugs to block.
- Amatsu's Super Tornado readying time is approximately 7.4 seconds while the sucking time is 2.79 seconds (simplified determination).
- If Amatsu is put to sleep, it continues to float and does not fall to the ground.
- Amatsu can only be fought on the Sacred Pinnacle. Once it enters its second state of rage, the storm will intensify, and after defeating it, the stormy weather will clear immediately, as proof of its ability to harness the power of storms.
- Ballista Shots and the Ballista Binder can be used on Amatsu. If it is hit with Ballista Binder while it is performing an attack, other than its sucking tornado or water beam explosion, it will fall to the ground for a while, leaving some difficult-to-reach parts, such as its back fins and tail, open to attack.
- The Ballista Binder is only effective when Amatsu is using an attack.
- However, like items on other monsters, the Ballista Binder will be less and less effective on Amatsu as several successful shots are performed. After roughly three or four uses, the binder's duration will become so short that it becomes almost useless for anything except interrupting Amatsu's attacks.
- When Amatsu is using its sucking attack, operating the Ballista can prevent the hunter from getting sucked towards it.
- Once Amatsu has been slain, a special ending musical theme will play.
- If the player fails to kill Amatsu before the quest time ends, it will not flee and you will fail the quest.